Monday, January 28, 2013

Upcycled Thrift Store Desk


Tristan, our 8 year old, has been needing a desk for a good while
So, I have been keeping my eyes peeled (what a gross figure of speech, btw!)
for a cool one in the thriftosphere.
 (yep, just coined that... you're welcome)



One Saturday morning I get this pic from my dad:

This potential beauty was looking out at him from the local thrift store window
(and yes, those are his legs reflected there)

I thought, what a cool little desk!  
This thing was only $10 so I asked him to go ahead and pay for it and I would come up there and bring him the money and pick it up. 
He happily obliged.

So we brought it home and after a good bit of procrastinating, 
we got to work on it


My Dad Tightened some screws underneath

My Hubby sanded it down really well so that we could put a fresh coat of paint on
(you can't really tell but he is busting a lil move in this pic, lol)


Rolling his eyes at me because I'm taking his picture...


Now trying to sand ME
ACKK!




All dismantled...



With all the curved edges it took a good while to get the whole things sanded down really well.


just a side note, I actually didn't doctor this pic at all.
Can you believe that sky?!


So now it was time for my Lady Job.
The painting.


I taped off the top because we knew we weren't going to paint it because it's a Formica type material and already had a nice smooth edge.  


The color we picked is called "Handsome"  
We wanted something that was cool for him at 8
but he could also grow up with, so we didn't want anything too "kiddy"
So we picked this really nice soft blue


Drying everything...



I had been putting off posting this project because it isn't quite done and perfect yet.
There is a lot that still needs to be done:


Of course I didn't get pictures of the process, 
But we spray painted the handle silver (I heart silver spray paint!)
And then I got some acrylic craft paint in silver and hand painted all the lines on the front and down the legs.
This part was my husband's idea and I loved it.  



I think that it turned out really great!
Now I'm watching out in the Thriftosphere (there's that awesome word again!)
For a cool desk lamp 
And I have a couple of ideas, thanks to fellow bloggers
for organizational tools for his desk.

I will definitely post pics when I get some of that stuff done!


7 comments:

Ministry Among The Trees said...

That is an awesome find!! and beautiful redo! how does Tristan like it?

Kenz @ Interiors by Kenz said...

I love it. It turned out great. And I really love the shape of that desk. It's great! Good job! And I love "Thriftosphere" :)

Rachel Dougherty said...

I love this desk! Great work! Awesome that it was a family project. I love that you're dad found it :)

Cindy / Aka Chymecindy said...

Wow thats awesome. It looks so pretty Fazer. Great job!

Cindy / Aka Chymecindy said...

After... Sorry

Unknown said...

Love it! As usual, you rocked the heck outta the Thriftosphere!

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Love the color choice! What a difference that makes - looks fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...