Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oktober Brat Rolls

If there was ever something my mother taught me 
it was how to make due with the stuff you had.

She was especially an expert at this when it came to food.  
Growing up in a 10 person family made dinner time.... interesting...
There were plenty of times where my mom would just look in the fridge and the pantry with no plan whatsoever and throw together the most amazing meal.  
those always ended up being the best dinners.

So yesterday afternoon I was all too fed up studying and got busy on planning dinner.
And here is what I threw together:


*********
My husband is very proud of his heritage, which is Swedish and German.
So last year we decided we were going to celebrate oktoberfest!
I took German for 3 years in high school and loved it!  we used to have German food days and such, so i was pretty familiar with some of the cuisine.
I made spaetzle, and Bratwurst, and a bunch of other yummy goodies And of course beers!  
I even made labels for the food in german, and wrote up a fun german words and phrases handouts for the guests!


Mind you it was just a couple friends of ours, us and my dad but we still all had so much fun.  Everyone especially loved the handout!  I also did a little speech explaining what Oktoberfest was and the history of it.  
{if you don't know about it, please check out the link, it's actually a romantic story!}

Anyway, We had soooo much fun!
& German food is sooooo good!

So obviously it's around that time again (actually past it technically)
So i got inspired to make something really yummy and Deutsch for dinner!  

I thought there was more than enough mustard and sauerkraut on here and upon eating them i could have put a lot more.  I thought the flavors might be a little over powering, but they weren't at all!
Plus the kids ate these even though there was sauerkraut in them.  
The flavor was very good, but tame enough to keep them eating.

Ready to go in the oven 


Done!  so beautiful and golden! 


mmmmm melty swiss! 



 *********

Recipe:


1 -6 ct. Big crescent rolls
1 -6 ct. package of cooked bratwursts ( I used johnsonville stadium brats, in my opinion the best!)
6 slices swiss cheese
sauerkraut
Dijon, spicy brown or whole grain mustard

1.  Preheat oven to 350. 

2.  Roll out the crescent rolls, place slice of swiss cheese at the large end of the triangle.  place a brat on top of that, then add as much as you want of both mustard and sauerkraut.  
{just a note here - I thought i was putting a good deal of both here and i wished i had used more of BOTH!}

3.  Roll up as you would a regular crescent roll and place on a greased cookie sheet.

4.  Bake until golden brown on top, then loosely cover with foil and bake for about 10 more minutes 
{this is the get the bottoms of the roll good and cooked without the tops getting too brown}

5.  Eat the daylights out of them!



I served ours with a spin on the classic german potato salad, served hot. 
and beer!  (only for the adults of course!) 





7 comments:

Call Me PMc said...

thanks for visiting and following Callmepmc.com I'm following back on gfc and twitter, have a great wkend

Julie said...

Oh those look so good! I'll have to try them sometime. Pinned for future reference Ha! My boyfriend is Swedish, German and Norwegian!

I am now following via GFC. I found you over at Six Sisters Stuff. I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime. I have a Monday Party that you may like to link up sometime. :) It opens on Sunday evenings. http://www.thisgalcooks.com/p/monday-party.html

Julie

Carole said...

Thanks for linking this super sausage post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

Unknown said...

I found you through your link with Food On Friday's at Carole's Chatter.
I've never thought of wrapping brats in crescent rolls but it's a brilliant idea.
Nicely done! Seems we also have a lot in common, I also have an etsy shop. I'll look for you there too.
Renee - Kudos Kitchen

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

This looks like a perfect man dish. I have a feeling my hubby might even offer to wash the dishes after this meal! So creative and yummy. Pinning.

Thank you so much for visiting and adding your idea to the Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun Linky Party. I’m one of your co-hosts from OneCreativeMommy.com. If you linked up from one of the other co-host sites, I hope you’ll stop by my site for a visit.

JMc said...

Aww thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier. Glad you enjoyed it! :) I am going to try your Brat rolls recipe next week! So glad I found your blog on the blog hop :)

Unknown said...

I'm so going to make these! Thanks for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...